Published interviews are cited in both footnotes/endnotes and bibliographies. When citing published interviews, include the following information:
As with other less common citation types in the Chicago style, adapt the structure of the formatting formula for the resource type your interview is found in (e.g., article, podcast, television broadcast).
Interviewee's LastName, FirstName. "Title of Interview." By Interviewer's FirstName LastName. Journal Tile, volume, no. issue (Year): xx-xx.
Bellour, Raymond. “Alternation, Segmentation, Hypnosis: Interview with Raymond Bellour.” By Janet Bergstrom. Camera Obscura, nos. 3–4 (Summer 1979): 89–94.
116. Raymond Bellour, “Alternation, Segmentation, Hypnosis: Interview with Raymond Bellour,” by Janet Bergstrom, Camera Obscura, 3–4 (Summer 1979): 90.
Bundy, McGeorge. Interview. By Robert MacNeil. MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour, PBS. February 7, 1990.
117. McGeorge Bundy, interview by Robert MacNeil, MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour, PBS, February 7, 1990.
Diaz, Junot. “Mil Máscaras: An Interview with Pulitzer-Winner Junot Díaz (The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao).” By Matt Okie. Identitytheory.com. September 2, 2008. http://www.identitytheory.com /interviews/okie_diaz.php.
18. “Mil Máscaras: An Interview with Pulitzer-Winner Junot Díaz (The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao),” by Matt Okie, Identitytheory.com, September 2, 2008, http://www.identitytheory.com/interviews/okie_diaz.php.
Steinke, Darcey. Interview by Sam Tanenhaus and Dwight Garner. New York Times Book Review. Podcast audio. April 22, 2007. http://podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2007/04/20/21bookupdate.mp3.
119. Darcey Steinke, interview by Sam Tanenhaus and Dwight Garner, New York Times Book Review, podcast audio, April 22, 2007, http://podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2007/04/20/21bookupdate.mp3.
Interviewee's FirstName LastName (identifying information if applicable), brief description of interview type to Interviewer FirstName LastName (or author), InterviewPlace, InterviewDate.
24. Anastasia Morales, e-mail message to author, July 31, 2010.
7. Andrew Macmillan (principal adviser, Investment Center Division, FAO), in discussion with the author, Seattle, Washington, September 1998.
12. Benjamin Spock, interview by Milton J. E. Senn, November 20, 1974, interview 67A, transcript, Senn Oral History Collection, National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD.
When citing unattributed interviews include:
Interview with Identifying information about Interviewee, InterviewDate.
10. Interview with health care worker, March 23, 2010.
References to conversations shared in privately shared social media correspondence such as direct messages or posts shared within a limited circle, are usually included in the text of an essay, or provided in a footnote.
IN TEXT EXAMPLE
Though inconclusive, a photograph shared by Seamus Harrington with the author, demonstrated that the group may have been present at the rally.
7. Facebook direct message to author, September 29, 2018.
The social media address (or similar) belonging to the individual making the private comment should be omitted unless permission from its owner is granted.